Tuesday, November 11, 2008

name hidden to protect the guilty


So lets talk about realm forums for a brief minute or two. Have you ever been to one of these? They can be found on the World Of Warcraft coummunity site. Just use the drop down menu. I love exploring the World of Warcraft Community Forums, especially the druid ones of course, and I get a lot of helpful info from these. We will talk about the druid ones later but right now I have to say a few things about realm forums.
I first accessed my realm forum when I was already level seventy and gathering tier four gear from kara, magtheradon and gruul so I came late to that place.
One of our officers posted a link to our realm forum because he had placed a recruitment ad there and wanted us to keep bumping it. Our guild is a lot of fun and we got a lot of new members because of the banter in that thread.
Over the year and a half or so that I visited that realm forum I noticed something very sad happen. Trolls invaded the forum.

If you don't know what a troll is, its a person who disguises him or herself from others and attacks people spitefully, irrationally and endlessly.
Where once our realm forum had been a thriving hotbed of information exchange and friendly banter it's now a dead zone where the trolls post amongst themselves and mourn the loss of the thriving community that has now left the forums.
The trolls, of course, cannot see the huge part they have played in this.
It is so easy to destroy something. It takes no brains, no craft, no skill.
These forum trolls worked hard to destroy morale amongst several guilds. I don't even think they realised for the most part what they were doing. They thought they were having fun.
It takes a lot more skill to build things, to craft them and to make them something strong and durable. If you are being trolled anywhere in your life stay strong, keep building and crafting what you love. Leave the trolls sulking under the bridge hidden in their silly gutless empty costumes.

2 comments:

Gunner Sykes said...

I know an accomplished troll if you ever have need of one.

stillsong said...

0.o
you are a wicked man Gunner thats one of the reasons I like you now go write some satire I need a laugh

Post a Comment